It's been a weird couple of days. T's and my schedules have kept us busy, and we don't often get a lot of extra time to spend together or do things as a family. We did get to go out for our 10 year anniversary. But T was really tired and acting like he didn't feel well and while we were at dinner he told me he keeps forgetting to pick up his prescription refill for anti-anxiety meds. He thought that was what was throwing him off. Very well could be. All I know was he was acting weird and hard to talk to, that is, hard to talk to in a way that was different from the normal "hard to talk to". Ha.
So I typed out this whole detailed story of what happened in the next few days but it felt too much like I was bashing and nit picking at my husband, and I don't want to do that. So, long story short- T worked a lot, stayed up late without me (almost certainly drinking). I was with the kids by myself for 48 hours straight including somethings like church and neighbor parties that were exhausting. T fell asleep after dinner yesterday and slept through the night for more than 12 hours. And I'm annoyed. And I don't know if that's fair. I don't know what's normal disagreements between a married couple because to me everything leads back to addiction.
I mean he did work a lot the last couple of days, he was not feeling well due to his sudden with drawl of meds and I have no idea if taking the meds (he finally got his prescription yesterday) again might have made him more tired. All I know was that I hadn't seen him, had hardly talked to him in two days and all he cares to do is sleep. It feels like rejection.
I'm also anticipating more of the same this evening because Mondays are his Fridays. Based on every past Monday/Tuesday in the last while it'll look something like: He'll probably come home and take a nap right after work and wake up in time to help me get the kids to bed. Then he'll go to the gym. We'll hang out for 30 minutes before I go to bed and then he'll stay up late watching TV and drinking. I'll do the Tuesday morning routine with the kids (and since we all have the day off probably go to the gym). We'll come home around 11 at which time T will have been up for maybe 20 minutes. He'll be happy and ready to go for the Christmas Eve festivities. By this point I'll be beyond peeved and full on angry. I typically become short and sarcastic and everything he does bugs me. T thinks I'm a nut. A crazy,angry person. He's nothing but pleasant and patient with the kids while I'm now losing it at every turn. We've done this pattern so many times that it all feels normal. This can't be normal, right? Every time I bring it up, T usually concedes that I have a point and states that he'll do things differently. If he does, it lasts a week at the most.
I feel like I'm out of line for making "taking a nap" into a big deal. I feel like I'm trying to control him by suggesting that things would work better for me, for us, for our kids, if he chose a more normal sleep schedule. The only boundary I've come up with, that does help, is that I don't allow his schedule to interrupt my life. I don't stay up too late because it's the only chance I'd have to spend time with him. I don't skip out on doing things with friends, family or for the kids because it doesn't work for his schedule. It helps, but what he chooses to do, still doesn't work for me. So what then? To me it's all addiction related. To T it's just that "he likes alone time in the evening to unwind". He works hard, he works an inconsistent schedule, etc. etc. so what's the big deal if he wants a nap when he gets home?
This all just seems SO stupid. Should it really be that hard for two adults, parents of three young kids,to come up with a schedule? Could it really be the source of contention, the side effect of addiction, that ultimately breaks up our family?
Ugg! I'd have a really hard time with that, too.
ReplyDeleteMy opinion is that things like frequent napping when it creates more of a burden, or is because they chose to stay up late, is not necessarily a part of addiction. It can be fueled and made worse by addiction, but overall I think it is just a selfish and inconsiderate thing that people do ("normal" non-addict people). Addiction can make it worse and more frequent, but there just are some people who have the character weakness that they put their own interests above others more often than not. That doesn't make it any easier to deal with on the other end, but I do believe that this could be a "normal" part of marriage. As people work towards recovery (or in "normal" terms, strive to be more Christlike), these things start to become less of an issue because selfishness decreases. But it is still sometimes infuriating having to deal with this stuff especially when it makes life harder for you.
ReplyDeleteI like your boundary though that you do not change your schedule to accommodate his choosing to nap.
Sorry that you are carrying this big load mostly on your own. I hope you can enjoy Christmas and feel the peace of the promises from the birth of our Savior!
As someone with a severe sleep disorder, I just want to say that sometimes it just isn't as simple as trying to make changes on your own. I've tried for years and years without success. I've hated myself for it, I've felt guilty for it, I've endured rolling eyes and criticism (including that I'm selfish and derelict in my duties) and comments about it for a long time. And I've just gotten to the point where I have to surrender it to God. And so far, this weakness/struggle/whatever you want to call it hasn't been taken from me. Whether that is because I haven't 'overcome' what I need to overcome or whether that means it may just be something I deal with my whole life is yet to be seen. But I'm grateful for people who won't jump to conclusions about my character because of it.
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge advocate, as you know, of wives of addicts. I sometimes want to bop addicts on the head. And maybe this is part of his addiction. But I also have empathy for weird sleep patterns and understand how difficult if not impossible they can be to change.
Bottom line for YOU, imo, is that whether it's addiction related or something different, either way, it's out of your control. It's good to draw your boundaries for your own health, but for your own sake, my thought is simply this: don't assume that you know what he is and isn't capable of changing. Things are rarely that simple. God doesn't always just make us better to help those around us. I wish He'd make my sleep disorder better (or help me know how I could fix it) but so far, that hasn't happened. I have seen good things come through the back door of this weakness/trial/whatever, in spite of me.
My experience has been that God can bless you and help you in spite of -- and maybe because of -- his issues. I have seen Him bless me and my family in spite of me and my sleep disorder. I still pray He'll heal me of this curse, but until then I trust that there is purpose in it and that He's patient with my mortalness.
~Michelle (admin)
Thanks for all your comments! And thanks for offering additional perspective. I suppose it's very possible T has a sleeping disorder. But, he has no interest in trying to change anything so I suppose that's where the annoyance and assumptions of his being selfish arise. Michelle- I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this struggle. Sleep is so crucial, and I've been really blessed that on average nights, I don't have trouble sleeping. That helps a lot considering the circumstances!
ReplyDelete